Monday, August 3, 2009

Today is the first day in the next phase of my life (twitter post of 8/3/09

It was truly a strange day as I announced my departure fromArlington for ICMA. It seems really crazy to leave a great job where you get to work with great people and do the things that you really care about. My current job is one of the very best city management jobs in the U.S.

Two factors compel me to make the decision to leave at this time.

The first factor is the new job itself. I’ve been associated with ICMA throughout my tenure as County Manager and always assumed that I would somehow be affiliated with ICMA as a participating member. The position I am taking enables me to continue to work on the issues that I consider important with the same network of colleagues with whom I work today. The content of the day to day work will be different, but the objectives the same: building sustainable communities that improve the lives of all people.


The second factor is a phobia of staying too long. I have seen a number of exceptional leaders remain in executive positions longer than they should have. Individuals and organizations both need change to grow. Over time executives run the risk of becoming overly invested in their own past. What was an innovation at one time can become obsolete during one’s own tenure. People and organizations can get stuck and not even know it.


So, at the end of this first day, it does feel strange. I have routines that will change dramatically. Many of the emails I’ve received bring tears of nostalgia and appreciation. I can also already sense some people beginning to move on. Soon people will be surprised to see me around: “We thought you had left.”


At the same time, it feels right. I’ll develop new friends and new routines and a broader network.

Mine will also be the new set of eyes on an organization which understands the need to grow and change.

No comments: